What can I do without going to Court?

About The Service Meet The Team Latest Resources

At AFG LAW our specialist domestic abuse solicitors will give you advice tailored to you; we always prioritise people experiencing domestic abuse and offer free, urgent advice. Every person’s situation is different and you will receive honest advice based on your individual circumstances . Sometimes the best option isn’t to make an application to court, in fact the court will want to see that, where appropriate, other steps have been taken first.


Report what has happened to the police

The first step should usually be to report what has happened to the police. If it is an emergency call 999 and, if you are in immediate danger, the police should attend straight away to protect you.


If it is not an emergency then you could call 101 or go to your local police station. You may decide you don’t want to contact the police or want to speak to a domestic violence support organisation for advice first. You can be supported to make a report to the police and there are usually specialist officers who have been trained in domestic abuse that can help.

The police will gather evidence and make a decision about whether the other person should be charged with a criminal offence. They can also give someone bail conditions not to come near you or go to a certain area whilst any investigation is ongoing.

The police will create a record of what has been reported and this can always be applied for during any future family court proceedings. When you speak to the police it can be helpful to get the name and number of the police officer you speak to and also make a note of any crime numbers you might be given.

The police can choose to deal with things in different ways and may give someone a harassment warning notice, can give someone a domestic violence protection notice and then apply to the criminal courts for a domestic violence protection order, they could caution someone or refer the matter to the CPS for a decision on charge. These are all dealt with by the police or in the criminal courts so it may be that you do not need to go to the family court for protective orders.


Warning letter

Sometimes, after discussing your situation with you, our solicitors may suggest sending a warning letter. This is a letter sent by a solicitor’s firm advising a person that their behaviour needs to stop immediately and if it continues, or escalates, then you may consider making an application to the family court for a protective order. These letters are often successful and our solicitors can then help you with the other issues that need to be resolved such as the arrange


Our family team can help you with a full range of legal services.

Get in touch with our team Get in touch!

Contact us directly:

Email: familysolicitor@afglaw.co.uk

Call: 01204 377600.

Who Is Going To Help You

Guides & Resources

Domestic Abuse

What does the Court look at when making a Domestic Abuse Order?

Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse support services

Not sure what you need?

Picking up the phone to one of our team will not commit you to taking things forward. We are happy to have an initial, totally confidential conversation with you and go from there.

Give us a call

  • Bolton 01204 377600
  • Bury 0161 359 3880

Or send us an email

Award-winning legal services

We offer a full range of legal services for individuals and businesses alike.

Many of our services are provided UK-wide, with our physical offices located in Bolton and Bury.

AFG were recommended to me by the agents selling my property, in the main I dealt with Elizabeth who was ever the professional, dealt with all matters quickly and answered any questions I had promptly. Elizabeth also kept me updated throughout the process for which I was extremely grateful. Thanks also to Dominique for dealing with the conveyancing so quickly , much appreciated. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend AFG.

Janet Silvester

Dominique Oliviero, Elizabeth McWhinnie

Let us help you