Separation Agreement

About The Service Meet The Team Latest Resources

For different reasons some separating couples don’t want to move straight to a divorce or dissolution and want to have a period of adjustment and reflection. Our solicitors understand that ending a marriage or civil partnership is a life changing decision but can also advise on how to protect yourself financially during this time with a separation agreement.


What is a separation agreement?

Separation agreements can cover property, finances and arrangements for children. A separation agreement can set out the date of separation, the agreement of the parties to live apart, how the assets should be divided, who will remain in the family home, who will be responsible for making payments such as the running costs of the house and whether there should be ongoing financial support in the interim. Both parties would have to agree to the terms and the document would be signed by both. Separation agreements are not legally binding although if they are prepared correctly, they are a formal contract that can be challenged in court. If the agreement was entered into freely, the parties had full financial disclosure, legal advice and the agreement is fair to both spouses then the court is likely to find it persuasive if there have not been any major changes to the parties’ circumstances since signing. A separation agreement can be turned into a financial consent order once you have reached the conditional order stage although only certain terms can be included within an actual order


What can I include in a separation agreement?

You and your spouse or civil partner can set out:


  • Family Home – Who will stay in the home? If you are both staying in the home, how will it be divided? How will the mortgage payments be paid? How will the running costs be paid? If the property is to be sold, how will the equity be divided? Can one party buy the other out? If the property is rented when will the tenancy be given up?
  • Debt – Who will be responsible for making which repayments? How will you deal with joint accounts?
  • Assets – How will these be shared between the spouses? Will savings be used to pay off debt? Who will keep which car/large assets or valuable possessions?
  • Financial support – Will one spouse pay the other maintenance to ensure they can meet their needs? How long will this payment be made?
  • Arrangements for children – Where shall the children live and with whom? What amount of time shall they spend with the other parent?
  • Pets – Where shall the dog/cat live and with whom, what time should the other person get to spend with the cat/dog? How should pet insurance, vets bills, grooming costs etc be divided?


If it’s not legally binding what’s the point of having a separation agreement?

The separation agreement can make it clear to both spouses what they are each responsible for during any period of separation before a divorce or dissolution is initiated and finalised. The work undertaken in agreeing a separation agreement is not wasted and can be a firm foundation for preparing a later financial consent order although there will have to be some further work involved in preparing a financial consent order. Once any consent order is approved by the financial remedies court the agreement contained within it becomes legally binding. However, as a separation agreement is not legally binding it does not prevent either spouse from making an application for a financial order that is different from the agreement reached in the separation agreement, it is however harder for them to justify why there should be deviation from the intention of the separation agreement unless there has been a change in circumstances.


We’ve been living together but aren’t married. Our relationship has ended, can we enter a separation agreement?

Yes, unmarried, cohabiting couples can enter into a separation agreement. The situation is slightly different to that described above as the agreement is not capable of being turned into a financial consent order. It is best to speak to our specialist cohabitation solicitors for individual advice.



Our family team can help you with a full range of legal services.

Get in touch with our team! Get in touch!

Or contact us directly:

Email: familysolicitor@afglaw.co.uk

Call: 01204 920103

Who Is Going To Help You

Guides & Resources

Finances on Relationship Breakdown

Clean Break Orders

Finances on Relationship Breakdown

What are 'needs'?

Finances on Relationship Breakdown

What does the Court look at when making a Financial Order?

Finances on Relationship Breakdown

Equal Division Guide

Not sure what you need?

Picking up the phone to one of our team will not commit you to taking things forward. We are happy to have an initial, totally confidential conversation with you and go from there.

Give us a call

  • Bolton 01204 377600
  • Bury 0161 359 3880

Or send us an email

Award-winning legal services

We offer a full range of legal services for individuals and businesses alike.

Many of our services are provided UK-wide, with our physical offices located in Bolton and Bury.

AFG were recommended to me by the agents selling my property, in the main I dealt with Elizabeth who was ever the professional, dealt with all matters quickly and answered any questions I had promptly. Elizabeth also kept me updated throughout the process for which I was extremely grateful. Thanks also to Dominique for dealing with the conveyancing so quickly , much appreciated. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend AFG.

Janet Silvester

Dominique Oliviero, Elizabeth McWhinnie

Let us help you