Get in Touch
  • Expert Legal advice in Bolton:
  • Expert Legal advice in Bury:
  • Join our team

First Registration of Title to Land and Property

Most land and property must be registered for the first time (compulsory first registration) if it is unregistered when you take ownership of it.

However, it is a good idea to register land that you own voluntarily too as it gives you proof of ownership and makes it easier to deal with it.

It is worth checking with the Land Registry to make sure that your land and property isn’t already registered.

You would need to apply with the deeds and all relevant information in addition to a scale plan showing where the land is outlined if this isn’t shown in the deeds. The Application form will need to be completed by a solicitor or conveyancer as the title has to be certified. There are different routes to register if you have bought the property or if you have inherited the property (in whole or in part).

It is vital that first registration is carried out properly with the Land Registry to avoid any unnecessary problems arising further down the line.

If you need any help with this area of land law, please contact our specialist property team which is led by Aaron Marshall. We can help clients to find resolution in the most complex of cases. Our team specialise in dealing with land and property investigation, disputes and litigation. Contact Aaron on 01204 377600 or at

Our Videos